Printmaking conclusion

This module has been very interesting as I have learnt new ways of printing and gathering my ideas. One print technique in particular is intaglio. I have enjoyed this thoroughly and learning a new printing method has really inspired me throughout the module. I have learnt to play around with ideas and not shy away from bold or new ideas. For example, using glass as a print, I think I have really expanded my scope of printing and also, through making a blog, I can see how I have developed and bettered my ideas.

Final Piece

As much as I thought it could be nice to leave it at my series of lino prints, I thought I could take this one step further. This idea however is quite conceptual rather than a tradditional print. I've debated with myself whether or not this could be classed as a print but I went ahead with it and I think my outcome has been successful:



Basically, I smashed a lightbulb and was taking images from it, and in some ways using my other drawing module by directly observing the glass and drawing from it then printing. However it was very difficult to obtain the effect I wanted so decided to stick the glass shards onto card. This is my final outcome and I am pleased with my results.

Lino : shattered glass

After much help from Caroline I decided to stick with the shattered glass and expand on that. My previous artist research has helped this, such as Cold Dark Matter.


This was my first print on black paper with white ink but i wanted to make it look even more fragile.




So here I used different types of medium to print on. I thought it would look really good on mirrored plastic but it was difficult to print on as the ink didn't stick to it properly. I still like the effect it creates though. Though I would have preferred it to be a better quality print. I am however quite please at my design outcome and thought this could bee my final piece; a series of lino prints of my shattered light bulb.

Invisible work

I did some more dry prints by just drawing the outline instead of actually printing it. I did this to show the fragility of the glass. I tried taking pictures of them but it just turned up white on my camera. I guess this fact enhances what I am trying to show with my series of dry prints.

My prints are in my portfolio though.

Work in Progress

My work is now getting underway nicely and I'd like to broaden the subject more so I took more inspiration from Cornilia Parker, and took the descision to smash the light bulb within the lamp and go deeper into the parts of the lamp. Here is what I have come up with so far...

Here is the broken lightbulb and within it reveals...


... What seems like a tiny light bulb inside. So I have decided to draw this and experiment more with this image.


I have yet to print this and am thinking of different ways to push this project further.

Kate Bingaman Burt

I'm really into Burt's work at the moment, I'm a big fan of how she has drawn something that she has bought everyday. I like the idea of having collections and also her style of drawing is very animated and it feels like her objects are a little personified. I think this was my aim when I was doing my intaglio prints.



Although not the same subject matter, I can relate her work to mine as the stlyes are similar in the sense that we both have simply laid out our objects clearly and in a very standard perspective. Although this sounds boring I think this factor makes the work more interesting in a way.


Also her works are mostly line drawings. I like how it makes the drawings simple yet less dense.

Intaglio Printing ptII (and process)

From my earlier  intaglio prints, i wanted to a little bit of a series (inspiration taken from Kate Bingaman Burt). So I did a couple more prints based on taking my lamp apart and drawing different parts of it.


 Here is where I inked my plate up. It's real cool because you have the ink which is really thick and then you add this weird jelly into it and it thins it out.


Here is my next design which I inked up. It shows the lamp with different components added and taken away.


Once the ink is put on, all the excess needs to come off so i used this material called scrim and then to get a really clean plate without removing the ink from the engraved parts, we were told to use this tracing paper which worked really well.


When that is done, it is put through this machine to press the ink onto the paper so you end up with your design. I like how I can always repeat the process again and again if it doesn't work out properly.

Here is my next design of the structure of my lamp. Mostly just the holder. I'm really pleased with this composition.



These are my 2 final prints of of the series of 3. I think they turned out well however , they do look a little flat. I'm not sure if tat's just the style I've chosen to draw them in or the images themselves. I am happy with the composition of my plates so overall I think these are a success and I'm pleased with how they turned out. I also like how I've done a series and they all go together well.